Final Blog Project

 

Country music has greatly influenced American society and culture. The genre's global recognition stems from its association with the United States, namely the Deep South. In the music business, musicians such as Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, and Johnny Cash are revered as very important artists in the country world. Country music is well-known throughout the world, but it sometimes can be misinterpreted. It's much more subtle than simply roper-wearing cowboys singing love songs, but people don't seem to get that. 

Country music has been a staple in music for decades, so much so that Congress recognized the city of Bristol Tennessee as the birthplace of Country in 1998. When recognizing it they cited the recordings as early as 1927. The twangy sound of country music reverberated throughout the Southern Appalachian low-lying mountains long before the days of Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton. African American working-class immigrants from Europe and Africa introduced their own musical styles to the area, combining African American heritage, Celtic music, and traditional folk styles to create the beloved country sound of today.

When I was growing up, I first started listening to country from my mom because it was all she listened to. As I became a teenager I started listening to different genres like R&B, Hip hop, and Rap. This is where i stayed until roughly my twenties. Nowadays I find myself listening country more than anything. The reason for that is that it just feels right for me. Don't get me wrong I like all music but country kind of has a calming effect on me. I just enjoy it more because in my lifetime I feel that I have been through it. A good song to represent this would be Johnny Cash Hurt. 

Johnny Cash Hurt was made in Sept 2019 in the USA. 

The lyric's really hit hard with this. I am sure that everyone can relate to this song. The lyrics are powerful yet simple. 

The beat starts really slow with just the guitar playing but as he gets to the chorus of the song it picks up with a faster beat and the piano. 

Johnny Cash's voice is always so rustic. It's what he was known for. 

I used this song because he has some of the best country songs out there. If you listen to country than you know who he is just by listening to his voice. 

The next song is one of the top songs currently. It is by Jessie Murphy and JellyRoll. 


This song came out Oct 2023, USA. 

Vocals. Jessie and JellyRoll really complement each other's voice. She has that bit of a rasp and Jelly Roll raps at first in this music video, but his voice is so clear and crisp. He has such a beautiful voice. 

The melody is simple, and the beat picks up with the drums when it needs to. I like how simple and elegant it is.  

I am adding one last song to this because the message it delivers is extremely powerful. The version I am providing is long but the vocals in it are extremely powerful and it's one of the reasons I listen to country more than anything else. 

There are many artists that came together for this song originally came out in 2023 in the USA. 

The melody and beat stay the same throughout the song. The main focus on this song is on the lyrics. It pushes a message that no one ever wants to talk about. It's my main reason I love country because it helps me with dealing things I try to bottle up. I learned the hard way years ago that bottling things up leads to disaster. I have many friends that I served with that made it home as well, but still aren't here anymore because of what this song talks about.

Music for me is an outlet. When I am stuck in my head and I'm not ready to speak about it I go for a drive and just listen to music. It helps me process things. It's one of the few outlets I have but allows me the freedom to just think and try and get a different perspective. 


The History of Country Music. Victrola, https://victrola.com/blogs/articles/the-history-of-country-music. Accessed 28 Apr. 2024.

Wintergreen, Barbara. Country Music's Impact on American Culture and Society - Phoenix Fm. Phoenix FM, 28 Feb. 2024, https://www.phoenixfm.com/2024/02/28/country-musics-impact-on-american-culture-and-society/. Accessed 29 Apr. 2024.


Comments

  1. I'd never heard the other songs you shared but Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is absolutely devastating. I was just thinking about this song on Monday because a short snippet was used in a meme about what over 40 year olds say to themselves after going to the gym for the firs time in a while, lol. But even thinking about the lyrics right now brings tears to my eyes. It's that powerful!

    I don't feel the same emotions when I hear Trent Reznor's version. I guess it's that Cash's perspective is that of someone looking back on their life with regrets as to how they acted and treated others. Makes me have the big time feels, for sure. And now I'm crying at my desk, oops! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog

When it Rains it Pours - Musical Analysis #1

Role of the Performer - Weird Al Yankovich