Musical Journey through the History of Greece

 For my musical journey, I chose Greece because it is rich in History. While doing research on Greek music I found that there is a lot more that I didn't know. I have noticed what I called a Harp in the old Hercules Disney movies can also be referred to as a Lyre. I also learned that Apollo was the god of music and was often shown holding a Lyre.  There is also a larger equivalent called the Cithara which is how we got the English word guitar.


 There is evidence that Greeks started to study music theory close to the 6th century BCE and music was actually viewed as a gift from the gods. Music was a very important part of early Greek life, and it covered a lot of different activities such as weddings, sporting events, military events, festivals, and my favorite drinking parties. Now the video I am posting below is of the Lyre and I chose to do that because it's simple but really how it started in early Greek life. There is a lot of information when it comes to this and I didn't want to make this blog huge, so I tried to just give key pieces that I found. 



the song of times | Lyre Gauloise - Tan - Atelier Skald | (youtube.com) France/2016


Comments

  1. I never realized that Apollo was the god of music. I always assumed that he was god of something else. I think that the lyre is so interesting because it truly does look like a mini harp. I had heard of a lyre before but I never knew what it looked like. Awesome Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog

When it Rains it Pours - Musical Analysis #1

Role of the Performer - Weird Al Yankovich